Monday 15 July 2024

Review: A Family Affair

 


Official synopsis:
 An unexpected romance triggers comic consequences for a young woman (Joey King), her mother, (Nicole Kidman) and her boss, (Zac Efron) grappling with the complications of love, sex, and identity.

Earlier this year Amazon Prime gave us another age gap rom com with The Idea of You. Now, Netflix is doing the same with A Family Affair. Only this time instead of a famous singer, Efron is a famously out of touch actor, with King as his assistant and Kidman as her writer mother.

I have to say based on some reviews I read on letterboxd I was expecting this to be awful, but it was just fine. It's a typical rom com. Not something you spend theater money on, but a perfectly watchable film at home. I was somewhat compelled by the love affair between Brooke and Chris. Mostly because we're given enough backstory on both to make you wonder if it could truly work. The biggest downfall of the film is King's Zara. She's an incredibly selfish character who throws tantrums instead of just explaining her feelings calmly. I feel bad for King, who is a good actress getting stuck with a character written so poorly. At one point, her friend tells her "The only thing you're good at is snacks." and that rings very true.

It's fine. I'll probably never watch it again, but it got a few laughs out of me and I haven't been able to go to the theater this week to watch anything. So it's doing its job of tiding me over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hum Types - | Hindi Short Movies | Drama, Socially Relevant | Traveling with strangers

Hum Types - | Hindi Short Movies | Drama, Socially Relevant | Traveling with strangers Charu, a girl from high society, faces her own strug...